Wednesday, July 14, 2010

I Am Hutterite by Mary-Ann Kirkby

In the book "I Am Hutterite" by Mary Ann Kirkby, Mary Ann goes in to detail to describe the history and life of a little known religious group known as the Hutterites. She describes the life that is lead in this community, from the food to the religion to the activities they participate in. This book is great for anyone who is interested in finding out what this religious community is like. I found the book to be too detailed. The author describes the day to day life excellently but I felt as if she could have left out many of the details she added in, including the detailed description of the wedding rituals the community practiced. I also did not like the author using the Hutterite vocabulary because every time she used one of the Hutterites words it may have been translated for you, but most of the time it was not and although there was a glossary in the back of the book I found it to be distracting to have to stop and look it up and then continue on. I also found myself forgetting what some of the words meant even though I had already looked them up or were told what they meant and would have to look them up all over again. Besides the book being a little too detailed and the use of Hutterite vocabulary, I found it to be a very interesting look into a community I had never heard of. I am well aware of the Pennsylvania Amish community but I did not know about this group of individuals from Canada. Unless you would like to learn all about the traditions, religious beliefs, and practices of this group I would not read this book but I did find it very interesting to learn about a whole new group of individuals.

No comments:

Post a Comment